Sunday, February 6, 2011

Baby blankets, and a quilt for a friend. Oh my poor poor neck!






so so so so so tired, I have been sewing for hours :) Well cutting, and piecing and sewing,a nd it feels like days, it was awesome, and I love it so much, but I am in need of a massage, having a quilting table is awesome, but it doesn't save all of your neck from hurting lol. Not sure if you can really catch the detail of the dragon, but it took hours to cut out completey ( it was drawn on foam poster board, and super super painful to cut it all, but I did it, after I cut the board, I had to use the stencil to cut out the fabric for the dragon ( incomplete here) and that wasn't even the part that took the longest, I also had to cut the "sheet" into four blocks ( I had my friend purchase 4 yards, so that I could cut them into four equal parts, and stitch them together ( The fabric was not wide enough on it's own for a queen sized bed) Then I got to stitch the dragons' body onto the sheet, and that took 4 hours.

Then I attached one of the wings which took another 5 hours., ( Not sure if you can tell how freaking intricate this crap is, and I had to wind so many bobbins it's not even funny, I really need to charge him for that damn thread, that's so expensive)

so not it's just hanging on my baulstrade waiting for me to attach the tail and other wing. I"m dreading it though, it will take a long time, and I will be done, and then I'll be bored until Chris takes me fabric shopping to finish his quilt! :P

Next lets talk about Calleah's Baby Blanket, it's beautiful, hello kitty, pretty pink hearts, and red polka dot flannel on the back. I decided to opt for no batting in this one, because the cotton and flannel made it plenty thick enough, and still allow for it to be washed on any cycle. Of course I need to wash it before I send it to her, I need to get special baby soap for that :) I"ll make a couple more baby quilts firs, and then grab the dreft, so that I can wash them all at once.

Now we will move on to my Baby's quilt, I've had 10 miscarriages, thus far, and to be perfectly honest, I'm tired of waiting to make anything til I'm sure! So I am going to make girly quilts, and manly quilts and keep them all in my hope chest for my darling babies whenever they decide to show up :)


2 comments:

  1. Next time you need a template try template plastic...it's a lot easier to cut and you can tape a couple of sheets together with clear packing tape if you need something larger. An exacto knife is excellent for the points of the dragon - or something very pointy. The foam core is very hard on the hands to cut and not as easy as the plastic to trace around for cutting the fabric.
    Happy quilting!
    Teri

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a wonderful idea! Thank you!

    This quilt I am making for a friend, who is on a budget, it was more of free with your materials type thing, since he really wanted it, so he had his daughter draw it out. It's beautiful, but you are right, it's terrible on your hands, and the fabric cutting wasn't fun either, I had to do some fancy stitching to keep some of the ragged edged from showing LOL.

    And Quilting is my happy place, I started quilting in November, and ever since I have just been hooked. :) Before then I hadn't sewn in years ( Since highschool home ec :))

    Wish I had found this happy place sooner! :D Well.... maybe not lol then I'd be broke!

    ReplyDelete