Friday, December 9, 2011

came home and got crafty!!!

So yall know, I had a bad day today ( it is still my day since I haven't slept yet) so I needed a positive outlet for those negative feelings. Since I can't go to food for that anymore!

I decided I needed to go home and get crafty!!

Here's the deal, at work we are having a white elekk( white elephant world of warcraft style). But I am broke til payday! So I made a quilt out of fabric I had on hand. It's pirates, and skulls and hearts and daggers LOL. Very cute in my opinion! ( there are pictures, it will make sense later Blogging from phone).

But I wasn't sure that one little quilt was enough, and damnit I needed to create something!!

So I get home from work at about 5:30 this morning, and I sit down at my sewing table. I decide to make a bag, a pirate bag... Ooo o o o!! I PINK AND BLACK PIRATE BAG ( yes my brain really talks to itself like that)

So I get a fabric pencil, and I draw a rough skull and crossbones on a white square of fabric, and I cut it out. It is a VERY cute skull LOL.

Then I take stock of the other fabric I have. Black and pink pinstriped pantsuit fabric, plain black trigger fabric, and my beautiful all time favorite go to pink fabric. I take all three!

So! Bottom of bag is 22 inches long, and 10 inches wide

Short sides are 22 inches tall, and 8 inches wide

Long sides are 22 inches wide by 22 inches tall

The skull is placed on the front f the bag at 8inches up, and 8 inches in.

The straps are 6 inch wide strips, that are 24 inches long.

Now, next time I will do a lot differently, but insatiable down with no pattern, no tutorials, and no knowledge of how to male a bag, so I think I did damn good. Here's what I did.

Straps were last but you do them whenever you want :). I folded the strips in half so that they were 3 inches wide and sewed them up at the 2 inch mark, and then turned them inside out. Set those aside.

I recommend you have a lining fabric, I dis, it keeps the bag a bit sturdier and looks a bit more professional :)

Next i started sewing the linings to the outside fabric. Before I thought about it, I just pinned the fabrics on top of each other wrong sides to right sides... That looks messy, I'm not a perfectionist, and I don't have a stitch ripper so I left those two pieces as they were. Then I realised that I should put the fabric right sides together stitch almost all the way around, flip it right side out, and finish stitching it up on the outside.

Now comes piecing these all together! I started with stitching the bottom to the short sides, then stitched the long sides to the bottom ( see picture) then I stitched all the seams together, resulting in my adorable new bag!! I am soooo sad to give it away, and actually and thinking about keeping it and just giving the quilt LOL!!!!!!!.


Ps! I added a pocket :)
Published with Blogger-droid v1.7.4

No comments:

Post a Comment